We recently spoke with Gina, one of our student trainees to find out more her and how she is enjoying her traineeship with BFC.
Check out our interview-
What about BFC or your work inspires you?
I’m usually a quiet and reserved person so my role as a trainee has been good for me as it has helped me to build my confidence. Through my traineeship I talk and engage with a range of people and it gets me out of my comfort zone.
I enjoy being able to help other people and make a difference to their lives.
The buddy shifts I complete with experienced BFC support workers inspire me to keep learning and growing.
I enjoy getting to meet lots of people from diverse backgrounds.
How does BFC’s culture and values align with your own values?
I was approached in December 2020 to see if I was interested in a traineeship role as my sister is a BFC client and I was at the time volunteering with the girls group. I believe my own values, including having empathy for clients and families and my unique and personal perspective aligns well with BFC’s.
Working with different people helps me to feel connected to the community through the different groups and also individual support.
I was born in Papua New Guinea and I have moved back and forth throughout my life. I feel connected and able to share my culture and experiences with others through my role at BFC. BFC is a very inclusive organisation.
What do you think you have gained from the experience so far?
- It’s been good to be able to reflect on practice from an individual’s perspective
- I would like to become a Youth Worker so I value what I’m learning at BFC and see it as a stepping stone to develop my career.
- I enjoy working with a variety of age groups, both young and old.
- I’m definitely keen to stay at BFC once I finish my traineeship.
- Through my traineeship I’m completing a Certificate 3 in Individual Disability Support Services via TAFE online and I’d like to complete further Community Service qualifications once school finishes. I currently work at BFC every Thursday as part of my traineeship and the practical work experience is really valuable.
Thanks so much for your time, Gina! We are so pleased you are enjoying your traineeship with BFC.
If you are interested in a traineeship with BFC, please contact our HR team via phone or email.