- It was great to meet some of you at BFC’s recent Annual General meeting (AGM). I attach a copy of the draft AGM minutes for your review. If you have any feedback regarding those draft minutes please don’t hesitate to contact me.
- Our next NDIS Audit is scheduled for 12 – 14 October, and the assessors will want to speak with a range of stakeholders, including families and clients.Because of COVID-19, the audit will be done “remotely” via the computer and with Zoom meetings. Our main auditor’s name is Sarah Szabo, supported by Judy March, both from the organisation IHCA. The auditors will want to meet with some clients and family members. If you are one of the randomly selected people the auditors choose, we would very much appreciate it if you could find the time to speak with the auditors. However, you may opt out of any communication with the auditors.If you are a person selected by the auditors for meeting, you are entitled to have an independent advocate or support person of your choice to enable you to fully participate in the audit process – if you require that support, just let us know.Mandy Edwards, who is leading the audit process for BFC will be in touch with you shortly if you have been selected by the auditors. If Mandy makes contact she will provide you with all the necessary information.
- With school holidays and other staff leave, we have had to review the supports we provide to clients this week and next. Dee-Anne, our Service Delivery manager may contact you to discuss this, otherwise it is business-as-usual.However, if you know of anyone who may be interested in working for us as a support worker, please encourage them to get in touch! We are always on the look-out for new staff who have the right values and attitude to provide respectful and enthusiast support to our clients.
- I am a regular attendee at the monthly BING (Bowen Interagency Network Group) meeting. Some news out of our most recent meeting:
- For those of you interested in joining me for a “mental health day” walk from Horseshoe Bay to the Sunday Markets, the Bowen Neighbourhood Centre (BNC) will be holding a walk in the near future – 9am on a Sunday. Date unknown as yet, but if you check the BNC facebook, they will advertise it there. If there is enough interested BFC’ers (clients, members and staff) we could meet as a group and do a “team BFC” walk. If anyone is interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is a boot-scooting group meeting every Wednesday and Thursday 9 – 11, Cnr Williams and Liechhardt streets. So if you love country music and want to have a bit of fun, get your cowboy boots on.
- One of the BING members provided me with the attached brochure regarding supporting communities through good mental health. If you are interested in getting in touch with someone from RAICC, have a look at the contact details on the back page.
- Although sad news for BFC, I finish this newsletter by wishing Mandy Edwards all the very best. Our fearless leader is stepping down to enjoy retirement, although I suspect will be busier than when she was working. After more than 20 years of commitment to BFC, Mandy has decided that now is the right time to do other more fun things Monday – Friday. I know you join with me in wishing Mandy and her husband all the very best for the future. I have advised Mandy that she is not allowed to leave until we have thrown her the farewell-bash of the century!
We are planning on “open office” on Friday 27 November from 3pm to late. We will have tea / coffee / fizzy and alcoholic drinks to toast Mandy’s future and thank her for her commitment to the organisation. We will also have nibbles and snacks for “afternoon tea” time and then pizzas for “dinner” time. Feel free to drop in any time after 3pm on 27 Nov to wish Mandy all the best – stay as long or as little as you like, and wear your dancing shoes if you want to (appropriately socially distance and) share a dance with Mandy!
Into my 7th week – how time flies when you are having fun!! If you have any questions about this newsletter, or something else you wish to discuss, feel free to get in touch with me. Best email is email@example.com which is a confidential email address.
I look forward to any feedback / questions you may have regarding the above.